Friday 15 January 2010

Christmas and Singapore

So I clearly haven't been updating this as much as I meant to - Christmas was a hectic affair and then I was jetted off to Singapore on a special industry visit to the animation studios with students from around the world. It was the best place I've ever been in my life, and I just want to be back there right now!

But anyway, I have been doing work for this project in between the hectic-ness, though I haven't scanned it in yet. I've done a rough storyboard for the title sequence in Toon Boom Storyboard, and put a few different music tracks to it just to try and get a feel for what I'm after. I'm going for a nice kid-friendly piano sequence, so hopefully I can find someone who can produce something suitable.

The Buffy stuff is a lot harder -_- I thought I'd settled on a curvy Chris Saunders-esque style, but it was just too cutesy and innocent for such a serious/young adult themed series. I've decided that my aim is - to produce characters for an animated series of Buffy that takes place after the final TV series of Buffy and Angel, i.e. Season 8 (not following the comic book style), that is aimed at the same audience that followed the series - mid/late teens, some early 20s, like myself. Therefore the style of the characters needs to be able to portray the many serious themes and topics that the series deals with, and needs to stay true to the 'feel' of Buffy that the audience will be used to - emotional connections with the characters, difficult topics, some comic moments, a very 'human' feeling, while still working with the fantasy themes and 'monster-hunting' roles of the characters. I still have a long way to go in the development of this project, so I hope I'll be able to show these characters successfully, especially as a big fan of Buffy.

My collaboration list keeps changing - the CG student is no longer staying in Uni, so I don't need to design the cowgirl any more, but a 3rd year has now asked me to try some backgrounds for her final film >.< I have finished with Michaela's monsters, and the comic book was given to Luke to do while I was in Singapore, though I may still be colouring it. I then have the colouring jobs for the films that my fellow second years will create by the end of the project - I'm hoping it'll all work out!

Anyway, lots to do, so should have some visual updates soon. Wish me luck >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment